Monday 10 September 2012

Review: Missionaries in Action

This is a series of short auto-biographies from the perspective of different Australians who have been or are involved in missions, either within Australia or overseas.

To be honest, I usually find short pieces more difficult to read than longer pieces, especially after the first piece. I need time to digest what I’ve read, and with short pieces, I need to think it over more frequently, which makes things difficult at times. This really wasn’t helped by the fact that the first essay is by far the weakest in the book.

But once I got past the terrible first piece, I found the rest of the stories very engaging. The wide focus is useful for those who feel called to missions but who don’t know where to start, or even what is happening world-wide.

One of the stories that most excited me was that of the Kirschs – the couple who started Celebrate Messiah, which actually operates near where I live. Their testimony and ministry is especially interesting to me, because I have a lot of school friends who are Jewish, and my grandfather was ethnically Jewish (he and his mother converted to Christianity). But most of the stories (indeed, all but the first) were interesting and engaging, and inspired me to realise that just like these people, I can participate in missions within Australia, and worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment